How your podiatrist in Dallas, TX, can help with bunion pain
Bunions can be painful and debilitating. They can make it difficult to put on shoes. They can also make it difficult to stand and walk around. Fortunately, your podiatrist can treat your bunion, relieving your pain and restoring your mobility. Dr. Joseph Yeargain at Yeargain Foot & Ankle in Dallas, TX, offers a wide range of foot care services, including bunion treatment.
A bunion is a large, bony bump on the side of your big toe. Bunions are caused by a bone deformity in your foot and aggravated by wearing shoes that are too narrow. Narrow shoes crush your toes together, causing your big toe joint to bend outward. The bent joint rubs against the inside of your shoe and the friction can eventually cause a bunion to form.
Smaller bunions may not cause any painful symptoms. You may be able to get relief by trying some simple home remedies like these:
- Placing an ice pack on your bunion for 15 minutes several times each day
- Taping your foot to help support and cushion the bunion
- Taking over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medications
- Placing padded inserts in your shoes to pad and cushion the bunion
If you have a large, painful bunion, it’s best to visit your podiatrist for a thorough foot examination. Your doctor may want x-rays to determine how much bone is involved in your bunion. Your podiatrist will design a custom bunion treatment plan taking into account your lifestyle and activity needs, pain level, the size of the bunion, and other factors. Your treatment plan may include:
- Custom orthotics and custom footwear to support your foot
- Night splints and other devices to help realign your toe
- Cortisone injections to reduce inflammation and pain
- Physical therapy and stretching to maintain mobility
- Surgical therapy to remove the bunion and realign your toe
Don’t let bunion pain take over your life. You can be on your way to relief with just a simple phone call. Just call Dr. Joseph Yeargain at Yeargain Foot & Ankle in Dallas, TX, for help with your bunion pain. Call now at (214) 824-3851!